Re: Web Accessibility: Detecting Assistive Technology

  • From: "E.J. Zufelt" <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 08:17:32 -0400

Flash is a browser extension, so by installing Flash into the browser there is
an ability to use Javascript to create a Flash object that can be injected into
the DOM.

Even if you simply insert your flash object in the page source, and do not
create it using Javascript, I believe that there is an ability to provide
fallback content for browsers where the Flash object doesn't load.

So, Javascript can "detect" flash because it can access the objects registered
by the browser extension, but since screen-readers do not register themselves
with browsers there is no way to detect them.

HTH,
Everett Zufelt
http://zufelt.ca

Follow me on Twitter