Visual Studio or HTML and PHP for Independent Contracting

  • From: "Richard Thomas" <rthomas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 07:20:49 -0500

Hi Guys:
After 2 years of brain smushing work in VB.net and VWD and SQL Server, Express
modules, I am starting to consider Independent Contracting to develop DataBase
and Website apps for folks.
Most of the bid requests center around low-budget websites for non-programming
types who want minimal maintenance and learning requirements.
If I read it right I could build a basic Website using MySql and PHP as code in
standard folders, upload the folders and they could do things like add or
remove links by copy and paste a prior link, change the href and upload, ftp, a
single modified page, folder or file.
Also, they could just maintain their Website using Notepad - no special editors
so long as they don't mess with the PHP.
Contrasting, they would have to download, install, and configure  Vb.net
Express, Sql Server Express and learn the IDE and OOP, event driven
Programming, to do much with the Microsoft environment.
Also, uploading the site to a host, and  transferring files between my computer
and their computer as Project Templates would be messy at best during any
change requests downline.
Does this sound like your experience?
Are there any gotyahs to working with MySql, html and php that the MS
Environment handles which would convince a non-programming type to learn
development in VWD rather than the simpler, at least it sounds simpler,  HTML
PHP environment?
At least it sounds simpler from Googling on things like Login, Session State
and a few dynamic controls.
Finally, if I build them a Website using the full blown VS Pro environment can
they maintain their links, directories and files without using the MS
environment.  That is, can they maintain the basic structure and Link and File
content on the host somehow witthout learning the VWD IDE?
I guess there would be a Command Center to maintain their DB if they wanted to
mess with that but I'm not sure about basic UI and Link maintenance without
Visual Studio.
Thanks, been trying to decide which way to go for several weeks now.
Rick USA