RE: Visual Studio 2003

  • From: dusty bray <dusty_bray@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 20:50:09 -0400

Yeah, thanks to John's search engine, i found your add ins, Inthane.  i tried
the VS 2003 for Jaws 6 add in, which immediately solved the code editor
problem.  However, my brother still found the IDE very frustrating.

Visual Studio is just so complex.  As it is, there are a million different ways
of accomplishing the exact same tasks in VS; it's difficult for me to figure
out the keyboard equivalents for doing things the way i know to do them.  i
finally just opened up Dev C++ and everything went smoothly.  smile

So, this prompts me to ask another question which i probably should have asked
from the beginning:  what language and IDE would you all recommend for
beginning blind programmers?  i ask this not just to help my brother, but
because i am hoping to assist my university in starting up a programming course
specifically for the blind.

While i was at Kennesaw State University, a professor asked the SNF for a grand
to start a course for teaching blind students VB.NET.  i thought this was an
excellent endeavor, but she was refused the grand.  She could only find a few
blind students in the area that were even semi-interested, and the cost of
equipment would have been phenomenal.  i suggested making it an online course
for people who already have their own machines with JAWS, and then there
wouldn't be any equipment or transportation costs.  She said that the dean
would definitely support my plan.  So now, the only major hurdle is identifying
good introductory material that would give blind students a little exposure to

i want to find something that will work smoothly with JAWS and, at the time,
provide skills that might be useful in industry.  Any thoughts?

From: inthaneelf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Visual Studio 2003
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 16:06:00 -0700

there are sets of "add ins" for the VS 2003 version at my
grab bag sight, but there only for jaws 5 and 6 I do believe, using VS 2005
the scripts for it available on the grab bag would be better in some ways.

• For Blind Programming assistance, Information, Useful Programs, and Links
to Jamal Mazrui's Text tutorial packages and Applications, visit me at:
to be able to view a simple programming project in several programming