RE: Vinux 3.0 released!

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ProgrammingBlind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 13:53:28 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks, Bill. Regarding Emacspeak, I have no experience with it, mor with any aspects of Linux besides telnet and ftp to manage files on my web site. I have the sense that Emacspeak has a high learning curve, but is extremely powerful, so was interested in whether it was included in Vinux.

Regarding Mono, your message prompted me to do some reading on the Microsoft concerns. The Wikipedia article on Mono seems to be balanced,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mono_Project

I learned from it that the only credible areas of concern are related to some .NET-related technologies that Microsoft has not clarified as being free from any future patent claims, including ASP.NET, ADO.NET, and Windows Forms. The main parts of Mono, however, are under valid, free, open source licenses, including GPL. GUIs can be developed using GTK# if one wants to avoid the Windows Forms classes. Databases can be developed without ADO.NET. Web applications are probably better built on Linux with other technologies besides ASP.NET.

It is noteworthy that the Ubuntu board has decided that the Microsoft concerns are not sufficient for excluding Mono and Mono-based applications in the default distribution of Ubuntu -- from which Vinux is built. The Ubuntu position statement is at
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2009-June/000584.html

While I appreciate the FSF principles (almost all my projects are LGPL), I also think we need to balance practical interests in the realm of accessibility. FSF discourages the use of Windows, which is used by a majority of U.S. employers today. Apple is more closed than Microsoft in its software platforms, yet many blind people are thrilled by the revolutionary access to apps that VoiceOver and the IPhone are providing.