Re: Vb.net or C#.net Tutorial Project

  • From: "RicksPlace" <ofbgmail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 06:56:25 -0400

To start out we will think of an object as something concrete like a Car or
Boat. We create something called a Class in OOP. The class is just a big block
of code related to something. If you have a program that is a online
Classifieds Program like Craigs List you might have a section wher e you
display Boats For Sale. So, you might build a class for Boats.
Public Class Boats
End Class
You could put any Vb or C# code, that is a VB example, inside that class. The
Public word means your program can read the code from anyplace in your program
and the word class means this will be a Class Object and the word Boat is just
the name of the class.
You might put a subroutine inside the class that when it is called from your
Form which is being displayed by a user will display a message that there are
no boats for sale.
Public Class Boats
Public Sub NoBoats()
MessageBox.Show( "We Have No Boats Right Now" )
End Sub
End Class
  Now, suppose you are working on code in a form that lists boats for sale. You
tried to read the DataBase but there are no boats listed. So you call the
NoBoats Subroutine like:...
  If NoBoatsFoundInDataBase Then
  Dim MyTempBoatsClass As New Boats()
  Note that the above statement establishes a pointer or a reference to the
Boats Class much like as if it was a folder. When we call any subroutine or use
any properties inside that class the computer knows it is inside that class and
not in another class since you might have objects with the same name used in
many classes much like a Folder can have a file and another folder have another
file with the same name but diferent contents. Anyway, you tell your program to
look for the sub in your boat class and this has the fancy name of
instantiation. We say we instantiated the Boat Class.
  When we did it we gave it the name of MyTempBoatClass which we could of
called anything just like if you were creating a new folder.
  Now to call our Sub inside our Boat Class:
  MyTempBoatsClass.NoBoats()
  EndIf
  If the above code were inside the form then the user would see the message
about no boats displayed on the screen. Think of a Class Object sort of like a
Folder for now. A Folder can have some properties like a name and size. Inside
it you can put diferent types of files which we might think of in code as
diferent objects like Subroutines, Functions and variables. Well, that is my
Raw conceptual view of these puppies and we will read much more about them as
we get into the tutorials.
  Rick USA