Re: VB.DOT NET Maths Question

  • From: "Ricks Place" <OFBGMail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 11:55:48 -0400

I sent you 2 replies to that one. I want to know the values you enter in all the TextBoxes. You are looking for values in every box and I do not think you are entering values in all of them. Also, what if you have the Cost Box labeled as the InterestRate box? verify the values you enter in the boxes are the values you intend to be in them. Make a list of each box and put it's corresponding value in a document to send me.

Like: for the third time:
Beginning Amount =
Interest Rate =
Years =
and all the other boxes you use the parse statement with.
It looks to me that you are trying to read boxes you are not expecting to have input values. The other possibility is you have a label reading incorrectly so you think you are putting one value like BeginningAmount in the correct textbox but it is actually going in some other textbox. So create a list of all textboxes, enter the values you will enter in them and then do it. Use a MessageBox or a logger routine to display each textbox name and value to verify you have the correct amount in the correct textbox and send me the document with comments if confused. I am pretty sure, however, you are trying to parse some textbox 4 input that you intend as output and are thus not entering values in them. Either that or your labels are not alligned correctly and reading incorrectly so you think you are entering a valid value but really entering it in the wrong textbox. If this is not the problem we will continue debugging but set up your test values, messageboxes or other method of displaying cinput contents, validate the outputs and send me a list of what values are displayed which should include the TextBox name and value as shown in a MessageBox after reading the value but before parsing it. then we can go on. There is a saying in programming garbage in, garbage out and that is a trueism. So set up your test step by step when things go wrong during testing on paper, text file, so you can track testing at a detail and consistant level. Testing off the top of head with some value will not help you solve some types of errors. It is ok if the code seems to work but when stuck document your inputs, calculations and expected outputs for a single test. That way you can reproduce the test with changed code or values and get consistant results.
Rick USA
Rick