Re: The top three big problems: Better Speech Reading

  • From: Veli-Pekka Tätilä <vtatila@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 13:34:21 +0300

Hi Marlon,
I quite understand your point of view. And certainly this should be
optional and I would never have a new programmer start out with all the
convenience, so having this as an optional extra would be the way to do
it, seeing that it is language specific anyway. But think the situation
in which you know the syntax.

If you had someone read code over the phone or in an audio book, would
you have him or her read every parenthesis and every darn semicolon,
even those that are always part of the language syntax e.g. the boolean
expression in the if clause or empty parens in a method taking no
argument? Personally I hate the amount of redundancy, and if there's a
way to read code smarter, I'll definitely take that for browsing code.

My point is that when I think of code I think ok we multiply x and y
divided by z. I don't think:
x star y slash z.
which is an artifact of the language syntax.

But again, I do realize this is controvertial and open to debate.
And even as a proponent of this system, I'd say that I would have to try
it out first to see how well it could be made to work and how much
easier and briefer it would make reading code. Certainly, I could agree
on reding conventions with sighted folks, but getting them in an elegant
programmatically executable form might be non-trivial. Your words of
warning are appreciated.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~vtatila