Re: The top three big problems: Better Speech Reading

  • From: Veli-Pekka Tätilä <vtatila@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 01:40:23 +0300

Hi Andreas,
It really depends on the person, too. I have found that most code is
managable if I merely cursor in word sized chunks since the reader reads
the word to the left of the cursor. And good variable names, slow speech
settings and sometimes custom punctuation help, too. Because I use the
cursor ctrl+left/right to read the code in nice chunks, I hate the fact
that Eclipse stops on every darn case change even within an identifier
name.

There are also people who can read Braille and can afford a Braille
display but that option is out for many blind folks. I am not sure how
big a problem code reading is in general, but that is something I
personally feel strongly about improving since it could easily be done,
I think. The thing is, it is something that really doesn't belong in the
screen reader, so dedicated tools are a real option here. And in langs
like Lisp or list processing that reads right to left, really, speech is
pretty weak, as I said.

Regular expressions are another story, I need to cursor through them
character by character, comment them very well or use the various Perl
English modules to make them far nicer. Still, I far prefer homing in at
structured bits of plain text by regexp searching a plain text document,
as compared to using screen reader specific navigation. I am also a big
fan of regexp for simple data processing overall, even in other langs
than Perl.

Another idea, howabout code folding that would be spoken by screen
readers and you could easily expand or collapse the current level from
the keyboard, optionally recursively.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~vtatila