Re: Text Editors and Text Diff/Merge

  • From: Ishe Chinyoka <chinyoka@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 06:35:49 +0200

This is a great tool indeed. I tried it. Thanks for the update.

I had been using EmEditor which to me seems to be awesome and highly
accessible. EmEditor has got a dif plugin by default such that you can
simply invoke it and in a dialog box see the differences and
similarities. EmEditor as a text editor is accessible and even
extensible as you cannot only add any plugin, but you can write custom
macros using either JavaScript or VBScript as it uses the Windows
Script Host engine internally. For anyone interested in the text
editor, it can be found at http://www.emeditor.com. However, it is not
open source, though the developers did everything to allow for
addition of custom plugins if you can code in C. The plugin
documentation comes with the software. The software comes in
Professional or free edition.

On 7/2/09, R. Haynie <rhaynie@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sauro,
>
> Well I noticed the same thing.  I have not tried to determine if I can
> change the display of "different" lines.  But since I use a screen
> reader that can announce the background and foreground colors at the
> current position of my cursor, I get by with no problems.
>
> Keep in mind as well that WinMerge treats a set of contiguous lines with
> differences as 1 difference.  So even though the status line might read
> 5 differences.  the actual count of individual lines may be higher than 5.
>
> So what I have been doing was to toggle back to the full view of the
> file, move line by line and check the background and foreground.  When
> it changes, then I know I have reached the end of the group of lines
> that made up that particular difference.
>
> But since I know a lot about the code I am merging, once I see the first
> line that starts the difference, I often remember what the difference
> actually is before I read line by line.  That is just a bonus in my case.
>
> They may have options available to modify this for us, but I have not
> had the opportunity to check yet.
>
> -Rodney
>

> Sauro Cesaretti wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have tried winmerge as well and it's really an interesting software.
>> But unluckly, it seems that it indicates the differences between the two
>> files with colors only.
>> Did you find another way to show the differences?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Regards, Sauro

>>> J
>>> im
>>> ----------
>>> Jim Homme
>>> Usability Services
>>> 412-544-1810
>>> james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>>>
>>> "You can do anything you want to if you put your mind to it" -- Jim
>>> Homme Sr.

Ishe Chinyoka
WEB URL: http://www.chinyoka.com
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin