Text Editors and Text Diff/Merge

  • From: "R. Haynie" <rhaynie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 00:26:08 -0400

Ok, this is something that has troubled me on and off for a while now.

I am looking for a real good text editor preferably one a integrated
diff (file compare) utility.  And it would be great if the diff had a
merge functionality.
I have been using UltraEdit for 6 or so years now.  Occasionally the
editor will crash.  I could not make a nice reproduceable situation of
when it crashes.  The latest version of UE is no different.

I took another look at Komodo Edit, but versin 5 does not seem to be any
more accessible with JAWS.

Editor:
I use the editor for writing sql, php, python, csv files, viewing logs,
etc.  I like code folding and function lists to quickly move around in
longer files.

So I need sort of an Accessible Power Text Editor.  I would not mind
paying for it, but it shouldn't crash on me like UE doing on both of my
boxes.

I'll be doing file comparisons and merging of changes over the next few
weeks.  Other than that, I probably compare files once a month.  I am
going to try out WinMerge, but Tuesday SourceForge would not allow any
downloads of that package (500 error), so I'll try Wednesday.  If that
package is accessible, ten I  the file compare be satisfied

Sina had a couple ideas, but he also suggested to hit the list up with
the question.

-Rodney