Re: Team Excellence Award Winner

  • From: "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 23:24:29 +0200

Ok, I hope I won't forget to ask tomorrow my colleagues what do they think
about the design of these web pages.

By the way, in the first one I've seen just a single image, possible a picture,
and in the second one 2 images

I've also seen colors like midnight blue on light steel blue 2 (a link to an
email address).
Does that link look OK? Is there a good enough contrast between 2 nuances of
blue?

How do you know that a nuance of blue over another nuance of blue makes the
text visible?
Have you asked for some sighted help? Or maybe that text really doesn't look ok?

And by the way, why light steel blue? I think that it might be a light nuance
of blue, but can a blind person remember or imagine hundread or thousands of
colors just by their names like this one?

And in one of the pages I've seen a table with the attribute of width="900" .
How does that page look on a display that has a resolution of 800x600 pixels?
I think that the web designer should know this. or to imagine and fix it if he
doesn't like the answer.

And I haven't searched too much on those pages, but I think I might found more
things that could be a problem.

But a good design doesn't imply creating a web page that is just accessible and
usable. The pages should be really nice-looking with elements more advanced
than just making some images swap with other images when hovering the mouse,
using a Javascript copied from somewhere for doing this.

Your pages are ok from a blind perspective. They use CSS, pretty clean coding
and they seem to follow the standards (even though I haven't checked them with
the W3C validator). They look just like my pages, but this is not enough at all.

I also made some nice tables that look like windows, with a solid border around
them only, and a thin border only behind the table header row and other nice
things like those, but they are pretty cheap-nice-looking things, because this
is all we can do.

Octavian