Re: +[SurvPC] MS-Windows Vista No Longer Matters (fwd)

  • From: "black ares" <matematicianu2003@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 06:49:49 +0200

let me tell you a story,
I bought a laptop this days, but all manufacturers asociate with Microsoft and offer their laptops with freedos and with drivers only for vista. The manufacturers which don't want to asociate with Microsoft offer their laptops with linux, but their can not offer drivers for windows at all. So I had to search a lot until I found a laptop which still support windows xp.
I choose a hp compaq 6730s

----- Original Message ----- From: "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 07:01:21 -0800
From: John Oram <norami@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: LifeRaft <survpc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: +[SurvPC] MS-Windows Vista No Longer Matters

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/vista/windows_vista_no_longer_matters.html

October 26, 2008 7:15 PM
Windows Vista No Longer Matters

News Commentary. Did it ever?

Make no mistake: Microsoft has moved beyond Windows Vista, which will
become
all too apparent during this week's Professional Developer Conference.
Windows
7 is the future, and in many ways it's the present, too.

Contrary to ridiculous assertions recently made by Microsoft CEO Steve
Ballmer,
Windows Vista is a flop. If businesses aren't buying Vista, after
waiting
six
(now seven) years, it's no success. Yet, during the last day of the
Gartner
2008 expo 10 days ago, Steve asserted that Vista "has been extremely
successful."

A few days earlier, Steve boasted: "Vista is our best-selling product
ever.
So,
if that takes too much getting over—we're not going to have products
that
are
much more successful than Vista has been. We sold over 180 million
copies in
the first 18 months, quite successful." Really?

But who's buying this "best-selling" product ever? "We have 180 million
users,
mostly on the consumer market," Steve said in an Oct. 2 speech. Oh?
According
to Gartner analysts Neil MacDonald and David Smith, only about 10
percent of
enterprises have adopted Windows Vista. That's not a high number,
particularly
in context of the approximately six years between Windows XP and Vista.

It's not surprising then that PDC attendees will hear whole lots about
Windows
7 this week and very little about its predecessor. Windows 7 banners
are
plentiful enough, as are the sessions: Out of 194, 22 are dedicated to
Seven
and none to Windows Vista. It has leprosy, baby, and nobody wants to
catch
it.
I Googled "PDC 2008," and one of the pages—not now available—is
"Unveiling
Windows 7 to the World."

Vista is headed to as quick a death as Microsoft can give it. Someday
soon,
some gun-toting Microsoft executive will lead Vista out back and "Pop!"
Netbook
buying trends and the sagging economy give Microsoft more reasons to
want to
off Vista as soon as humanly possible. The signs are everywhere:
The vanishing license count. Every quarterly earnings since Vista's
release,
Microsoft executives counted up the number of licenses shipped. There
was
near
silence during last week's 2009 fiscal first-quarter earnings
announcement.
The
number was 180 million three months earlier. It's now "What?"
Microsoft's
failure to toot "the number of Vista licenses" horn means something.
Maybe
the
increase wasn't that great, or maybe Microsoft is moving beyond Vista.
I say
yes to both.

Windows client income down. During the fiscal first quarter, the
division's
revenue grew a paltry 2 percent year over year, but income decreased by
4
percent. Microsoft has no tough year-ago comparison to account for the
weak
results. By comparison, Business division revenue and income were up 20
percent
and 23 percent, respectively. Microsoft attributed year-over-year
Windows
client income declines to sales of lower-cost versions in emerging
markets
and
on netbooks in mature markets. Considering that PC shipment growth was
still
strong during the quarter, Windows results forebodes Vista weakness.

Increasing netbook sales. The product category is pure trouble for
Microsoft
because Windows Vista demands too much to adequately run on the
hardware. So
netbooks typically either ship with Linux or Windows XP Home. That
netbook
buyers would be satisfied with 7-year-old consumer XP is just about the
only
commentary necessary to understand Vista's market plight. According to
Microsoft, netbooks added 8 percent growth to otherwise flat U.S. PC
sales
during the third calendar quarter. The category is hot, but Vista is
not and
couldn't be. Seven had better run well on netbooks and soon.

"Windows. Life Without Walls." The marketing campaign should be called
"Windows. Life Without Vista." If Vista is so successful, as Steve
claims,
then
why isn't Microsoft advertising the software? Rather, Microsoft is
trying to
get away from Vista, abandoning a brand that it already invested tens
of
millions of dollars promoting. Its absent role at PDC says it all.

There are plenty of other signs:
Continued OEM sales of XP downgrade licenses

The aforementioned 10 percent enterprise adoption

Apple's Mac market share gains (35 percent in U.S. retail revenue)

Microsoft is moving beyond Vista to Windows 7. Windows Vista no longer
matters.
If it did:
Enterprises would be buying it

Consumers would be demanding it

Microsoft wouldn't freak out about Apple's "Get a Mac" ads

The hottest new computer category, netbooks, would ship with Vista

Microsoft would be aggressively advertising Vista, instead of trying to
bury
the brand

Developers would be creating hunky Vista apps; instead, projects like
Yahoo
Messenger for Windows Vista are being abandoned

I've long said that Windows Vista isn't a bad operating system. It's
just
not
particularly better than Windows XP. Strange, then, that Microsoft
isn't
messaging Seven as being particularly better than Windows Vista. It
won't
be.

Microsoft believes, with some justification, that Vista has major
perception
problems. The company clearly has decided that negative perceptions
can't be
fixed. Hence, the diminished emphasis on Vista; starting tomorrow—and especially on Tuesday—an increased emphasis on Windows 7. By shifting
emphasis
to Seven, Microsoft is treating Vista perceptions mainly as a marketing
problem.

Vista deserved better market reception than it got. Strange, a few
small
improvements could have changed everything—like startup times.
Everybody
bitches about how long Vista takes to boot up or wake up from sleep.
Last
week,
one of my longtime Windows buddies bought a MacBook. Yesterday we
talked
about
startup times. He surprised me. He had already clocked startup times: 7
minutes
on his Vista notebook and about a minute for the $1,299 MacBook. That's
not
scientific, but it needn't be. One user, one experience multiplied by
180
million Vista licenses is scientific enough.

[Please send your tips or rumors to watchtips at gmail.com].

Posted by Joe Wilcox on October 26, 2008 7:15 PM