Re: Sonified Debugger vs. Screenreader Question

  • From: Trouble <trouble1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 18:31:45 -0500

Well your headphone idea was at least a good one. Now in the work place if you find one that lets you use speech out put without headphones. i would like to know, because that is the biggest requirement. So the other works don't have to hear what your work is all the time. And they do come with volume controls, so all that pain you suffered from loud headphone usage is preventable. Depending on the sound skeam. Its usage just might improve on some repetitive tasks.

At 03:57 PM 11/23/2007, you wrote:
Though this musical thing might seem to some as a possible solution, just how long will the blind programmer's inner ear be able to handle such a daily audio assault? That is, because we must always be cognizant of the end goals of the research findings, and because the ultimate goal is to develop a programming environment for the workplace--I think, fellow sighted programmers will not tolerate the endless noise coming from the blind programmer's cubical. The logical solution would be to give the blind programmer a set of headphones. Now the issue will turn to the amount of time the blind programmer will be able to tolerate constant physical pressure to the ears caused by headphones whether ear buds or otherwise. More importantly, just how long will the blind person be able to program when there is a constant assault of music and other incredibly noisy information bombarding and possibly shredding one's tympanic membrane, malleus/incus/stapes, oval window, basilar membrane, cochlea, and so on. I would be most worried about wear and tear on the basilar membrane as it's "wooly carpeting" will begin wearing out like the worn out area on the carpet where your deskchair might be sitting on. Then you might have other issues such as headaches from either and extended periods of headphone use. You might also have factors such as mental fatigue from not only having to stay focused on your programming task, but your brain will experience "cortical attrition" due to the constant bombardment of sound which the sighted programmer will not have to deal with.

Yes, its true we don't have much choices in the matter when it comes to audio output for the completion of our tasks, but I think we can design choices in terms of the type of output we can utilize for best results, and I don't think music and various beeps and sounds will do for all. Maybe once the foundation of this programming research has been normalized, there will be enough room to consider individual differences and act accordingly by developing different schemes by which one can use in order to perform for very long periods of time.

Now that I think about it, you might want to try a preliminary reversal design to assess hearing before and after extended exposure to your IV.

Thanks,

Matthew
----- Original Message ----- From: "jaffar" <jaffar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>