Re: Social networking site for the blind

  • From: "Matthew2007" <matthew2007@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 18:14:12 -0700

Wow! what a respectful, mature, constructive, overall incredibly positive post!

Again, and I thank you for noticing, my goal was not to discourage you as you might in fact stumble upon a very different idea on your path that will grasp the social concept you're trying to harness. I do find that because there are so many of the same individuals on the many different list out there, your social network, or another list serve for that matter, will only serve as another outlet for bad blood between some individuals. I would hate for you to go through all the trouble building your network only to find that you end up with a more than desirable proportion of constant chaos. There are many blind listers out there that have all the time in the world to destroy your work while you're busy trying to build your social network. I must say I too am guilty of falling prey to the chaos and the many chiefs and few indians on these list, which is why I've abandoned many lists, and I don't feel I'm missing out one bit!

Matthew
----- Original Message ----- From: "dusty bray" <dusty_bray@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: matthew2007@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 16:38:20 -0700

Is there really a need for this? it seems as though you can pretty much see
the same people on various user groups, so why would anyone want to go
somewhere and talk to the same 5 people all over again. The main reason I
abandoned many list serves was because most topics on these lists repeat in
what appears to be triweekly cycles. I also find it very, very depressing
that these lists are just about all these people have in life, and I don't
want to be a part of that group of people--just my personal philosophy.

There are millions of blind people in the world. There are only a fraction
of them on the internet. There is even a smaller fraction on the more
technical list serves. There is even a smaller fraction on the more
programming related highly technologically related list serves. The result, the same people will join the various types of technologically related user
groups. Besides, doesn't this user group serve the same purpose you're
looking to fill?

I'm not trying to discourage you from your goal, and you will no doubt get
the "yes I would love such a place on the web" from others, but will the
time and effort actually reflect the demand. You were asking for all
opinions and here it is--just playing devil's advocate.

Thanks,

Matthew
----- Original Message ----- From: "Darragh Ó Héiligh" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>