Re: Setting Up JAWS With VMWare Server

  • From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 09:36:19 -0400

Hi Marlon,
I will get that information if it becomes necessary. Thanks.

james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810

"it is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis." --
Margaret Bonnano

Highmark internal only: Consider Usability Engineering On Your Next Project
or release. http://highwire.highmark.com/sites/iwov/hwt093/

             "Marlon Brandão
             de Sousa"
             <splyt.lists@gmai                                          To
             l.com>                    programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             programmingblind-
             bounce@freelists.                                     Subject
             org                       Re: Setting Up JAWS With VMWare
                                       Server

             05/14/2008 07:19
             AM

             Please respond to
             programmingblind@
               freelists.org

Hello Jim,
First of all you need to let me know what OS is running on the virtual
machine. In order to run any systen in a virtual machine, the system
in the virtual machine needs to have a screen reader installed on it.
JAWS installed in your machine won't read the window in which the
virtual machine is running in, because vmware draws the pixels in the
window. So if you have a windows machine with vmware installed in it
and you're trying to use a virtual machine with linux without a screen
reader installed on it you won't be able to do it. Futther more, if
your host and client are in the same machine the virtual machine can
use the host's sound card, providing you with the virtual machine
audio feedback, so that you can use the screen reader installed on it
to run the virtual machine. But, if your virtual machine is installed
somewhere else, vmware will get the video from the virtual machine but
not the audio. In this senarius perhaps a JAWS remote access could be
set from the virtual machine to your machine. If you can describe the
situation  with more  details please send me a personal note and I can
try to help.
Thanks,
Marlon

2008/5/9, james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx <james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi,
> I don't have much of a clue about this. I'm hoping someone gives me one
or
> two.
>
> A tech person was here this morning trying to help me see if I could run
> JAWS against a computer with VMWare server on it. We were using Host On
> Demand from IBM to connect to the machine with VMWare Server. It appeared
> that JAWS was seeing the machine as one big window to me. I'm not sure
what
> advise to give about how to make this work. I was looking in the archives
> of the list, but it seemed to me that most of the content there was
talking
> about some sort of VMWare client. How does this stuff fit together and
what
> information do I need from the tech people to pass on to someone out here
> who may have a chance at pointing me to where I need to go to make this
> work? I heard that IBM was working on a more accessible Host On Demand
> client, and I'm pretty sure we don't have the most accessible version.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jim
>
> James D Homme, , Usability Engineering, Highmark Inc.,
> james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810
>
> "it is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis."
--
> Margaret Bonnano
>
> Highmark internal only: Consider Usability Engineering On Your Next
Project
> or release. http://highwire.highmark.com/sites/iwov/hwt093/

free."
Linus Torvalds