Re: Seeking possible tasks for Dueling Operating Systems at CSUN

  • From: "Matthew2007" <matthew2007@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 10:30:40 -0800

In an effort to include the audience in as much as possible (in this way they can follow along very easily just by listening), How about asking the users to search for a specific product then mimicking a purchase from a website just about everyone in the visually impaired audience will be familiar with such as Amazon, NewEgg, or buy.com? Have the contestants start from their respective desktop and take it from there.

During your presentation I think you might end up with a problem in terms of "crosstalk" as the screen readers will all be jabbering at the same time. You might want to decide ahead of time whether you will let the participants take turns executing these tasks, or if you want to turn this contest into a race. The former will of course take much more time--the latter will be much more fun!

You know, you might want to try to find a balance between fun and platform function. yes, it will definitely be interesting to see which OS performs well in basic everyday tasks we all have to do as blind or visually impaired individuals, but you might interweave some more technical aspects of each OS into this presentation for those not familiar with an OS other than their own. This will introduce us all to the beauty of the other platforms. In other words, fun task, then an introduction or illustration of a different aspect of an OS for those not familiar with the "other" platform, then back to fun task.

Thanks,

Matthew
---- Original Message ----- From: "Jamal Mazrui" <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 02:36:12 -0500
From: James Panes <jimpanes@xxxxxxxxx>
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

A couple of obvious ones:

1) Retrieve and respond to an email.

2) Use an internet browser to go on-line, fill out a form and submit it.

Regards,
Jim
jimpanes@xxxxxxxxx
jimpanes@xxxxxxxxxxxx