[program-l] Re: Seeking C programmer to compile 32-bit version of NFBTrans (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 10:52:48 -0500
From: Steve Jacobson <steve.jacobson@xxxxxxxx>
To: "program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [program-l] Re: Seeking C programmer to compile 32-bit version of
    NFBTrans

Jamal,

Thank you for your help with this.  I would only add that there have been
attempts to compile NFBTRANS under DJGPP
but it seems to only come out as a 16-bit app.  Apparently an additional
library with which we had some difficulty is
required.  It has also been compiled under MINGW but there have been errors
which I have not seen firsthand.  One
concern I have is that we need a version that is not too dependent upon other
external windows components or people
will run into problems with inconsistencies between windows versions.  I would
also add that NFBTRANS is at the core
of WINTRANS which many have used.  WINTRANS is simply a PowerBASIC GUI
front-end for NFBTRANS.  My
understanding is that the PowerBasic part of WINTRANS does run under windows 7,
but it of course has trouble when
calling NFBTRANS.

Over the past few years, this has been a no-frills self-sufficient translator
that with a little work has worked well for a lot of
people.  My hope is that we can keep it that way under Windows 7, with whatever
is required to make it run being
distributable with the package or already in Windows.  I was a COBOL programmer
in the past and work some with SQL
now but am not particularly knowledgeable in this environment.  Therefore,
guidance and advice are appreciated.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 05:50:08 -0400, Jamal Mazrui wrote:

Steve Jacobson has also posted on this topic.  NFBTrans is a free, open
source braille translator available at

http://www.nfb.org/nfb/nfbtrans.asp

The last version released is a 16-bit process, so will not run on 64-bit
Windows.  I am looking for a C programmer who can compile a 32-bit
version using the included source code.  The distribution does include
make files for Unix-like systems, so my hope is that the code is written
in a portable enough manner that a skilled C programmer would be able to
recompile it for platforms of today without much difficulty.

Can anyone do this via MinGW, or if not, with another C compiler?  I
would gladly post an updated distribution for anyone to use freely.

The EdSharp editor I develop,
http://EmpowermentZone.com/edsetup.exe

makes use of various free utilities, including NFBTrans.  As an option
in the Open Other Format command, Control+Shift+O, EdSharp uses the
existing NFBTrans for back translation of .brf or .brl files into plain
text (e.g., books downloaded from BookShare or NLS).  This does not work
on Win64, however.

Jamal

** program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
** and in the Subject line type