Re: Searching for blind programmer to start a school for blind programmers

  • From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 10:10:57 -0400

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 11:21 AM, BRENT NEAL <bneal@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Bill,
> If you do not mind personal questions what kind of work do you do and how
> did you become successful at it?  I thin we can learn from others who have
> been successful in a career as a blind person.

Actually, I just have a bit of trouble now days reading.  I'm 47, and
have a genetic eye disorder that is causing symptoms similar to
macular degeneration.  I learned to program on my own, but I had full
sight, and I was lucky.  I'm the CTO of a small software comapny I
started in 2000.  Mostly, I write EDA software, such as place and
route tools for structured ASICs.  It's fun stuff.  It's you guys who
have blind since childhood and yet learned to be professional coders
who really impress me.

I see a ton of work supported by foundations and governments on
accessibility for people with vision impairments, but a ton of the
best work seems to be coming from blind programmers.  I think if we
could teach more blind kids to write code, it'd have a big impact for
all people with vision impairments.

Bill