Re: Screen Reader Compatibility

For the record, I think a Unix-flavored screen reader would also be a great choice. I guess I do nearly as much in Linux now as I do in Windows, so maybe I should've started with that instead of my thoughts on the Windows side. But I digress.

Jared

On 1/23/2010 3:25 PM, Bill Cox wrote:
I'll throw out a vote for Orca next.  There seem to be a lot of
open-source blind programmers out in Linux land, and I think you could
reach them best with Orca integration.  Also, Orca and accessibility
in Linux seems to be advancing rapidly.  I suspect in five years,
looking back Orca will have seemed the obvious choice.

Bill

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Jared Wright<wright.jaredm@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
I'm definitely disappointed to see JAWS getting all the attention on the
Windows side. Personal, subjective preference aside, I think most of us can
agree that It's more expensive than Window Eyes, has an inferior scripting
implementation compared to Window Eyes, uses more system resources than
Window Eyes, and yet so many accessibility products worry about
compatibility with JFW which translates to implicit support for Freedom
Scientific's frivolous litigation, forced Braille driver signing, and other
nonsense that serves the blind community in no useful fashion. It sounds
like you've already gotten pretty far on your roadmap for Windows with JAWS
already, so I'll say no more. Hopefully you'll revisit the possibility of
Window Eyes compatibility in the future, although I guess with Window Eyes
being more adaptable (my opinion of course) it'll be easier for its users to
adapt it to Sotbeans themselves.

Jared

On 1/23/2010 9:59 AM, Andreas Stefik wrote:
Hi folks,

We're working hard out here on screen reader compatibility on the
Sappy/Sodbeans projects in NetBeans. We're trying to decide which screen
readers we should make our code compatible with. We realistically can't do
all of them in the short term and we are starting with Jaws/ OSX Voice Over.
Once those are complete, any suggestions on what screen readers the
community would prefer come next? Any preferences?

We were thinking maybe a unix flavor screen reader, perhaps Orca, but are
open to suggestions. What does the community think?

Andreas Stefik, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Computer Science
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville