Re: Request for comment on IAccessible2

  • From: "Manish Agrawal" <manish10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 11:37:58 -0400

Hey Jamal,
After reading through the overview and some of the specifications, I have a
few questions that will help me understand this better. I don't know if this
is the right forum to ask these on, so, feel free to forward this to anyone:

1. The entire specification is for use by Com servers and clients. However,
most new application development work on the Microsoft platform is being
done in .Net. How does this specification help to make those .Net
applications accessible?
2. If .Net/Com interop is the anser, how does this spec address the
significant performance overhead of that interop?
3. Are there .Net wrappers to the com API already being created that .Net
applications can use without having to implement the com interop themself?
4. Is there a .Net widget/control library that is also being published by
the tool vendors supporting this initiative that I can use as a .Net
application developer to get out of the box accessibility with my UI
elements - as is the case with the UI widgets that ship with Microsoft
Visual Studio?
5. If I am developing custom controls/ UI widgets in .Net, are there any
sample apps/ prebuilt controls that I can subclass to help make my custom
control accessible?

If I am completely off the mark with the above questions, please pardon my
ignorance and point me to somewhere that I can read more and understand how
this works better.

On 6/10/08, Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Request For Comments
> From the Open A11y Workgroup
> Linux Foundation
> June 5, 2008
>
> The Open A11y Workgroup in the Linux Foundation works to develop free and
> open
> standards supporting comprehensive access to information and user
> interfaces
> for persons with disabilities. Our standards process is open to interested
> members of industry, developer, and consumer communities. Obtaining public
> comment on our proposed standards before they are finalized is one of the
> most
> important steps in our process. Public review helps ensure our standards
> are
> relevant and complete.
>
> DETAILS:
>
> We are now requesting comment on the following specification produced by
> our
> IAccessible2 team. This specification is expected to become a Linux
> Foundation
> standard this year.
>
> IAccessible2
> HTML - http://www.linux-foundation.org/~ptbrunet/ia2/docs/html/
> IDL - http://www.linux-foundation.org/~ptbrunet/ia2/api/
>
> Overview
>
> IAccessible2 is a set of Windows accessibility interface definitions which
> complements Microsoft's earlier work on MSAA. The IAccessible2 interfaces
> fill
> critical accessibility gaps in the MSAA offering.  IAccessible2 is an
> engineered
> accessibility interface allowing application developers to leverage their
> investment in MSAA while also providing an Assistive Technology (AT)
> access
> to content in rich document applications and web browsers. The additional
> function includes support for rich text, tables, spreadsheets, Web 2.0
> applications, and other rich content often found in large, complex
> applications.
>
> IAccessible2 is implemented by application developers to allow Assistive
> Technology, such as a screen reader used by someone who is blind, access
> an application's components, e.g. a table in a word processor.
> IAccessible2
> has been implemented in applications such as IBM Lotus Symphony and
> Mozilla
> Firefox 3.  It has also been implemented in the leading Windows screen
> readers,
> e.g. JAWS from Freedom Scientific and Window-Eyes from GW Micro.
>
> Developers of complex applications benefit because they can provide
> accessibility to complex components well beyond what is possible with
> MSAA.
> Application developers also benefit because screen readers already support
> applications that implement IAccessible2.  IAccessible2 was a joint effort
> with
> [...]

Regards,
Manish
http://iaccessible.blogspot.com