Re: RE Research Project COMBINE: COMputing & Blindness IN Education

  • From: "Peter op 't Hof" <opthofp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 13:42:29 +0100

Hi,

Please mail me privat at:

opthofp@xxxxxxxxx

Or add me on Skype:

hofcomware

Greetings,

Peter op 't Hof.
Blind ICT/businessconsultant.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Hayhoe,Simon" <HayhoeS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 1:01 PM
Subject: RE Research Project COMBINE: COMputing & Blindness IN Education

To Whomsoever it May Concern,

I am an ICT and Computing teacher and researcher from Leicester. Although previously my research activities have centred on arts education for students who are blind and visually impaired (please see my website

http://www.blindnessandarts.com

I have recently started a new research project, investigating the computer teaching of students who are blind and visually impaired.

The project, named COMBINE (COMputing and Blindness IN Education) involves the interviewing of early blind and late blind computer programmers - these can be web designers as well as computer programmers - to discover how they conceptualise programs in their minds. For example, Ho do programmers imagine an icon placed on a screen? How do programmers conceptualise text boxes and radio buttons in a "visual" language? How do programmers conceptualise programming a resizeable webpage?

As part of this project I was hoping to interview a number of blind and visually impaired people who program computers in order to develop case studies of individual's experiences. This is initially through an extended questionnaire sent as an email attachment, and then as a telephone/Skype interview.

If you would be willing to participate in this research, please reply to this message.

Thankyou in advance for your time.

Faithfully

Simon Hayhoe

Dr Simon Hayhoe
Head of ICT
Leicester Grammar School
8, Peacock Lane
Leicester LE1 5PX
UK

This message is confidential and intended solely for the use of the
individual to whom it is addressed. If you have received it by mistake,
please let us know by e-mail reply and delete it from your system; you
may not copy this message or disclose its contents to anyone. The
integrity and security of this message cannot be guaranteed on the Internet.

Leicester Grammar School Trust
A company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales
Company number: 1521751
Registered office: 8 Peacock Lane, Leicester, LE1 5PX
Registered charity number: 510809