Re: Questions Regarding Getting Started in Programming

  • From: "Dale Leavens" <dleavens@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 15:12:54 -0500

Hi Kelly,

The big difference between writing those what they call console applications
and Windows applications is that we used to spend a lot of time programming the
interface, where things appear on the screen, how to capture input, where to
put prompts and all that stuff.

More commonly, when developers write Windows applications they set up the
screens first. These will be buttons, ComboBoxes, List boxes, Text Edit fields
and so on, all those so-called controls and including the menus. You can creat
the look and feel of an application that way before writing one bit of code
rather nice when showing something to a prospective client.

Once you have the screens, known as forms in the trade, you then begin
programming the logic and flow behind them. You never have to know how to put a
ComboBox together, where to place the cursor, how to edit the text someone
enters or what to do when they press delete or backspace, all that is done for
you. You do need to know how many items are there, which one is in focus but
the control will tell you that. Once it does it is up to you to act on that
information with your code.

Being event driven Windows looks for events like opening a form, closing it,
pressing a button, moving a mouse, that sort of thing. Your code then responds
to those events which is a little different to how you code in console mode or
under DOS.

I hope this helps and doesn't muddy the water further.

Dale Leavens, Cochrane Ontario Canada
DLeavens@xxxxxxx
Skype DaleLeavens