RE: Quality Assurance testing

  • From: "Sina Bahram" <sbahram@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 20:49:05 -0400

Having seen QA engineers work ... It is a heavily visual intensive field.

A great deal of QA involves visual aspects such as clicking on appropriate
areas, clicking on inappropriate areas, identifying color choices that are
not uniform throughout the application, asking why certain buttons are
placed far to any given direction, complaining that a particular button is
inactive, even though it still shows on the screen, complaining about lag of
things being painted or drawn, explaining that a particular mouse over isn't
working, querying the developers about why the application uses such a small
font in the most used area of the screen, trying to do things that might
lock up the application, and so on.

Also, automated QA, which is hopefully what this position would entail,
would involve using many tools that are themselves not accessible.

Regarding accessibility ... I'm sure the various members of this list can
present multimillion dollar investment pieces of software that have passed
the most stringent of QA testing over multiple years, and are not even
remotely accessible, much less usable by someone who is blind; for example.

I don't believe it's appropriate ever to tell someone not to do something,
if they want to do so, but by the same token, do realize that the level of
accessibility that is potentially possible in something like a programming
position is orders of magnitude more than that available in a QA position.

Take care,
Sina