Re: Python and the Jaws Scripting Language

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 07:23:28 -0400

Stand-alone COM servers can be built with Python 2.6 and below using the py2exe package available at

http://py2exe.org

Such a COM server can work with a client developed in any programming language that supports COM automation, including the JAWS scripting language, scripting languages for Window-Eyes, etc. An example of such a COM server is SayTools, available at
http://EmpowermentZone.com/saysetup.exe

Jamal

On 7/24/2010 11:49 PM, Alex Midence wrote:
Hi, list,

thought I'd post a link to this article.  I found it rather
interesting.  It illustrates how one can create scripts for Jaws using
Python in conjunction with the Jaws scripting language.  I found it
rather interesting though, I don't know Python and I know little jaws
scripting as well.  This, however, is not the case for a lot of you
out there so, I hope you find the info useful:

http://mindtrove.info/articles/extending-jaws-using-python/

I do have some questions for anyone who'd care to take a stab at them.
  Can anyone tell me if this can still be done with Jaws 11 or has the
scripting langauge become advanced enough not to require such creative
ways around its limitations?  I heard there was a way to make Jaws
scripts with Perl though, I'd think Python would be a more powerful
language.  Any thoughts?

Regards,
Alex M