RE: Python?

  • From: "Ken Perry" <whistler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 17:53:55 -0500

I think I disagree with almost everyone on this list.  I first say I
wouldn't use python as a starting language this others have already said.  I
also will add I wouldn't use c++, visual basic, Java, Lisp, delphy, or C# as
a starting language either.   I have seen the quality of coders that have
come out when they start with languages that I have mentioned above and its
rather sad.    The only thing I like as a starter language is pure C.  The
reason is it's a very structured language it doesn't let you stick variables
willy nilly throughout the code and thus forces a person to design first and
code second.  It is also much better for someone to be told you must put all
your variables at the first of a block than to say create one as you go.  It
also forces people to understand more of how a computer works by learning
about pointers without the toughness of learning in ASM.

The only language I would suggest over C if you're looking for more of a
English like language it would be Pascal 7 or below.  The reason for that is
the same reason I gave above it is very structured and doesn't let you stick
variables everywhere which just makes the code hard to read.

Now back to python.  I have been converted to python and love it but as a
first language there are real problems.  You have no type checking that
means you can do all kinds of funky stuff that you can't in other languages
and if people get used to this they will be totally lost when they go into
another language.  It's also very odd how you can make functions in
functions in functions that can only be accessed inside of functions.  So
you end up having this tree of functions that only the functions below can
run while this is cool and can be found in Java it's a mess when your
teaching basic programming.  Of course you as the teacher can restrict your
student to certain methodologies in python but the problem with that is then
your limiting your students learning curve.  If you have some students that
could jump right in and do objects why would you want to stop him or her but
the problem with that is if you're trying to explain functional programming
it don't help when they can do something in a total other way.

I guess the main reason I would not teach students with python is the same
reason I really like it now.  It's almost as bad as  c in that you can do
anything but it's worse than c in that when you do just about anything it
won't blow up like C so the person doesn't always know that they have done
something wrong.  You will not understand that till you get under about 3
layers of try except blocks and your program just stops and gives  you no
error messages.  Then you put in the debugger library and it stops at the
first layer and you think you found the problem but your hours away from
really finding it.

My goals in teaching a language are as follows

* Teach problem solving this includes searching on the web for information
if you can't use google you can't code that simple

* teach the difference between data centric coding and functional coding,
yes, yes I know that is not the real terms for it but that is the difference
in a  nut shell.

* teach the person to use a compiler this knocks out all the interpreted
languages but if you can learn a compiler you can always go to interpreted
but it's not always the case the other way around.  I know lots of coders
that started in Perl and refuse to use another language because it's just
easier to use interpreted.  This sounds like not a bad thing but there are
things that are just better done with compiled code take an operating system
for example.

* teach the person to separate data from code even when coding in objects
it's important to have an abstraction layer so that your code can be changed
at the fundamental base levels without having to recode the whole program.
This includes abstracting UI code from functional code so that your code can
easily be ported take WebKit for example if they didn't abstract the UI part
it wouldn't already be the base code for so many web browsers.

* teach the person on something they can get freely while python meets this
C can be coded on any platform that exists while python still only works if
first a c programmer creates a vm for the chip set.

* drill it into a student's head that it does matter how big your program is
and that memory management is something they should understand on their own
before they start using a garbage collected language.  Otherwise when their
java, c++, python, pearl code starts running really slow they will complain
and think it's a library when really what they are doing is sticking a
billion things in a dictionary that they thought they were just using as a
case statement and really they were cramming it so full the computer's
memory looked like a field of pregnant rabbits.

* teach profiling right off. So many students couldn't tell what is slowing
their code down if you pointed at it with a denobian laser pistol.

* get the student into debugging.  If this means you write some really
messed up code and say ok first debug it best you can just by hand.  Then
use a debugger to test it more great.

*  Don't give the students answers make them look them up.  Tylor can attest
to this when he first got on this list most of us wanted to strangle him but
he has progressed to the point now he actually gets the right answer out on
the list before I drag my but out of bed.

Well that is my rant for now and I am sure I missed lots but in short "C" is
the only language for a new student like it or lump it.

Ken