Re: Programming as a hobby

  • From: "RicksPlace" <ofbgmail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 10:14:23 -0400

You should take classes in the field and get a degree from someplace if you want to go Professional. It is not often a company will hire a hobbiest to work on their Production systems. As for applications, I am working on a StarTrek Fan Website using VWD, Vb and Sql Server Express 2008. We use many technicals to do the same thing on diferent pages to demonstrate how they work. I have found that to be a good way to learn. For example, we access a Sql Server Database using the native SqlCommand object, a SqlDataAdapter, a SqlDataSource bound to a ListView and upcoming: A Strongly Typed DataSet using TableAdapters, and LINQ based technical routines.These are the major technicals involved in accessing a Database from Visual Studio. Learning them by Googling articles has taken a very, very long time. Learning a language syntax is not too bad but, again, I do not think most companies will hire you without a degree of some sort related to the work you plan on doing. Rick USA