Programming Keyboard Shortcuts in Python

  • From: Hrvoje Katić <hrvojekatic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 17:24:20 +0100

Hello,

I searched on google on various places on how to easily implement keyboard support in Python apps, and I mean global hot keys, and found various things. I found pyHook which is easy but I have no idea how to make shortcut keys like alt+shift+something or ctrl+alt+shift+something, cause pyHook allows monitoring only single keystrokes and not key combinations. I also tried using wxPython + PyWin32 (win32con), which is ok, but I need to make my keystrokes customizable by the user, thus I need to include modifier and a vk keycode in the same parameter, but win32con makes modifier and a vk keycode as a separate parameters, which is inpracticle if I wish to read my keystroke definitions from a keymap file.

Any ideas and what you recommend for programming global hotKeys in Python?

Hrvoje