Re: Please place responses at the beginning of your email.Re: WhichLinux + screen reader to choose?

  • From: "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 18:35:50 +0300

The most accessible and used mail client by the blind is Outlook Express and it cannot do what you suggest. We don't even need that, because most Windows users don't care about that. And it is not easy at all to keep pressing the shift key or the down arrow key to jump over the original message, because this takes time, exactly like it takes time to press the arrow keys to move the focus out of the text fields in a web page with those poor screen readers.

Octavian

From: "Daniel Dalton" <d.dalton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>>
OK, so how is this a problem though if it works fine on linux?
Why can't you quickly skip passed > signs?
And surely you have a smart email client that could hide quoting? (mine can) And surely its better since it gives you more info about what the sender is talking about? and it is easier for the writer...

Like this email took a little longer to write

Cheers,

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008, Jamal Mazrui wrote:

The challenges of reading and writing with the quoted style of email with
current Windows and email technologies has been explained. You can choose
to continue that style, but be aware you are losing a significant number
of readers here who do not want that inefficiency imposed on them when
they can avoid it.

Regards,
Jamal

Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 21:52:45 +1000 (EST)
From: Daniel Dalton <d.dalton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Please place responses at the beginning of your email.Re:
    WhichLinux + screen reader to choose?

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008, Octavian Rasnita wrote:

Is not accepted, or better said, not liked here, because this list is not a
simple technical list, but a list of Windows blind users.

So what is the difference between a blind person reading email on linux or
windows?
I'm blind and handle quoting on my linux box and did on my windows box.
why is that?
How come other non-technical lists don't mind quoting?

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/
<d.dalton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>