Re: Passing xml documents between Java and a C library

  • From: Kerneels Roos <kerneels@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 14:33:08 +0200

Shot in the dark here, but since XML has a very low entophy -- a lot of
redundant data -- would it not make sense to attempt to either avoid the
direct rendering of the XML on both sides by passing something else between
the Java and C++ liblouisutdml library?

I would speculate that the parsed XML contained in data structures in the
Java code and in the C++ code of liblouisutdml is a far more efficient
representation of the actual XML. If there could be an XML parser API which
the Java code and the liblouisutdml code could jointly access the exchange
of data would be very fast.

What about the option of compressing the XML on both sides before exchanging
it? This introduces additional computation time for the compression /
decompression for each round trip, but it lowers the lenght of time more
memory would be required -- only during the compression / decompression
stages, not all the time in the case of passing huge XML blobs.

Lastly, is it not possible to call liblouisutdml API calls that directly act
on the XML from within the Java code instead of passing huge chunks from one
code base to the other? Haven't had time to check it out, but the odt2brl
Open Office plugin might very well do something like this?

Regards

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Homme, James <james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Hi,
> What would be a good light weight solution for this?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jim
>
> Jim Homme,
> Usability Services,
> Phone: 412-544-1810. Skype: jim.homme
> Internal recipients,  Read my accessibility blog. Discuss accessibility
> here. Accessibility Wiki: Breaking news and accessibility advice

Kerneels Roos
Cell/SMS: +27 (0)82 309 1998
Skype: cornelis.roos

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!