Passing Primitive Types "By Reference" In Java

  • From: Jared Wright <wright.jaredm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 23:54:17 -0500

Hi Folks, I am familiar with Java's passing all parameters to methods strictly by value. I am also familiar with how it always uses references to indicate objects, and so passing objects by reference is easily accomplished from a practical standpoint--the values of the references are actually passed, but the end result is much the same. I'm unsure though as to what would be the most effective way of passing a primitive type to a method in such a way that the method can modify the original variable. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Jared