RE: Oracle vs. Google (was Why isn't Open Office on Windows Accessible?)

  • From: "Sina Bahram" <sbahram@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 11:38:10 -0400

Schwartz actually shopped Sun around, quite specifically to Elison, with the
incentive of a rather large IP suit against Google as
considerably sweetening the deal. That's at least according to industry
insiders.

Now, in regards to the suit, I'd refer you to some of the licensing surrounding
j2me and how there are certain requirements of
byte/feature compliance, none of which Google translational layer dependant
pseudo JVM has.

The classpath exception to the GPL v2, while sort of relevant, really has
nothing to do with this case. It might come up in
discussions, but that's not what the law suit based on the seven patents is
about.

Take care,
Sina