Re: Number of folks on the list

  • From: "Matthew2007" <matthew2007@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 02:36:32 -0700

Octavian,

At this point in his research exploration he is simply trying to make a solid argument for the great need of such research. If you calculate proportions as you suggested, he will probably be undermining his research grant as the number of blind programmers will seem infinitesimally small in comparison to the general population of blind people as well as the population of sighted programmers. You can't write a research proposal stating your time and effort as well as grant money will be used to benefit only 20 individuals in a population of 2.8 million blind people--or whatever the actual number. Your argument regarding the dearth of blind programmers being due to lack of high school courses in programming for the blind is also not a cogent one. There are many programming classes for the sighted in high school and so on, but only a few sighted people actually go into programming. Therefore, one can only conclude that there are many varied reasons why people choose to go into programming and their accessibility to the software to do so is irrelevant. Oh yeah, that last comment regarding blind people being stupid, well, you'd first have to operationally define "stupid," but I think you will ultimately conclude that there are plenty of us just as there are plenty in the sighted world. (ha ha, he he)

Matthew
---- Original Message ----- From: "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@xxxxxxxxx>