Re: Now I Know Why I'm Having Trouble With Objects

  • From: "Littlefield, Tyler" <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 13:26:19 -0600

>anyone who speaks in "noun verb" when telling someone to do something. Do you talk like this? Only after about 9 hours of code and a long session with GDB in which I find myself a few pounds lighter because I've yanked lots of hair out.

On 4/12/2011 1:19 PM, Homme, James wrote:

Hi,

I found this humorous.

Understanding the Parts of VBA "Speech"

If you were going to play soccer using BASIC, the instruction to kick a ball would look something like

"Kick the Ball"

Hey---this is how we talk! It makes sense. You have a verb (kick) and then a noun (the ball). In the BASIC code in the preceding section, you have a verb

(print) and a noun (an asterisk). Life is good.

Here is the problem. VBA doesn't work like this. No object-oriented language works like this. In an object-oriented language, the objects (the nouns) are

most important (hence, the name: object oriented). If you are going to play soccer with VBA, the basic structure would be:

Ball.Kick

You have a noun---the ball. It comes first. In VBA, this is an object

. Then you have the verb---to kick. It comes next. In VBA, this is a method.

The basic structure of VBA is a bunch of lines of code where you have

Object.Method

Sorry, this is not English. If you took a romance language in high school, you will remember that they used a "noun adjective" construct, but I don't know

anyone who speaks in "noun verb" when telling someone to do something. Do you talk like this?

Water.Drink

Food.Eat

Girl.Kiss

Of course not. That is why VBA is so confusing to someone who previously stepped foot in a procedural programming class.

Let's carry the analogy on a bit. Imagine you walk onto a grassy field and there are five balls in front of you. There is a soccer ball, a basketball, a

baseball, a bowling ball, and a tennis ball. You want to instruct the kid on your soccer team to

Kick the soccer ball

If you tell him kick the ball (or ball.kick

), you really aren't sure which one he will kick. Maybe he will kick the one closest to him. This could be a real problem if he is standing in front of

the bowling ball.

Jim

Jim Homme,

Usability Services,

Phone: 412-544-1810. Skype: jim.homme. NonVisualDevelopment.org: Blind people can drive computers <http://www.nonvisualdevelopment.org/>. Demonstration GUI Programs: You can program GUI's while blind. <http://www.fruitbasketdemos.org/>

This e-mail and any attachments to it are confidential and are intended solely for use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not keep, use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail without the author's prior permission. The views expressed in this e-mail message do not necessarily represent the views of Highmark Inc., its subsidiaries, or affiliates.

Ty