  From: Storm Dragon
  To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Sunday, October 24, 2010 7:00 PM
  Subject: Re: Next version of noughtsAndCrosses - adding a (simple) form of
narration to a webpage itsself

  Hi,
  Could you use the speex encoding like Rockbox does? It makes voice files very
small, you could slow the speech down, use the format, and still have much
smaller file sizes I think.
  Thanks
  Storm
        --
Registered Linux user number 508465:
http://counter.li.org/

  On Sun, 2010-10-24 at 18:47 +0200, Jacob Kruger wrote:
    The voice is scansoft/realspeak daniel, but I did output/render the clips
at quite a fast speaking rate to partly try drop their file size/running time,
and I also dropped them to 24kbps (kilobits per second) to make all 10 of them
that might get used amount to a total of 14kb, and the idea with the embedded
flash object preloading them is that they get sort of cached at load time,
instead of needing to be reloaded/refreshed each time they need to get played,
etc., and it seems to me like they do each sort of play a bit quicker from
their 2nd time onwards, but, yes, it's not 100% real time as such either way.

    I was also testing/trying out catching actual keystrokes via the
document/webpage itsself for navigation etc., but you would then need to turn
off things like jaws since it's catching of the navigational keystrokes for
it's virtual buffer block the javascript DOM from noticing them as
such...<smile>

    Stay well

    Jacob Kruger
    Blind Biker