Re: Next version of noughtsAndCrosses - adding a (simple) form of narration to a webpage itsself

  • From: "Jacob Kruger" <jacobk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 22:20:55 +0200

Ok, I'll have to pass that on, since the way it's hosted at the moment, you
won't see anything apart from the standard HTML tags, linking to external
script source files, and, again, the one real one, with the actual
implementation script in it is hidden by a PHP session variable check.

Firstly, the two sort of script libraries I am making use of are, JQuery
(simpler/clean access point for a version/implementation of DHTML):
http://jquery.org/

and, SoundManager, which implements the embedded flash object to handle the
sound playback etc.:
http://www.schillmania.com/content/projects/soundmanager2/

Then, there's around 360 lines of javascript, handling everything from
initialising the objects containing/wrapped around the sounds, attaching event
handler functions to the objects on the page - using basic javascript syntax,
but approaching it a bit other than normal, along the lines of the JQuery
methods/approach, etc., and if you want, I can try post some of that again,
etc., since the only real change have made this time around is to in fact
handle a sort of queueing of sound playback, using an array to store the
identifiers of the sound objects to be played, one after the other, and all I
did extra there was add a bit of a check to the onFinish event of the sound
objects to then check if another sound in fact needs to be played, and if so,
to then play it, etc.

My theory is that javascript, PHP and C# are relatively similar in terms of
basic syntax, but they all have each of their own peculiarities, etc., and this
then gets a slight add-on from using JQuery (unless I'm just not used to really
taking javascript to this full level or something), and the only other 'funny'
thing about javascript is that along the lines of defining a variable inside a
method/function in other languages, and not having it available to other parts
of the whole overall structure, variables generally defined within a script
block <script...></script> are to a certain extent limited to being seen
therein, but the DOM (document object model), with the window object sort of at
the top of it, can be seen/accessed from all around, etc. - and this is all
just my sort of general version of an explanation of my version of an
understanding of javascript, etc.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker