From: "Bill Cox" <waywardgeek@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 08, 2010 6:40 PM
Subject: Re: New speech speed-up library available under GPL

Hi, Stefik.  There aren't any tutorials yet.  The project is too new.
I'm currently hacking it into speech-dispatcher to enable Linux users
to enjoy it.

I do believe it will be useful in a lot of places.  Mainly, I was
worried that excellent TTS systems like Eloquence are slowly going
away, leaving people with vision impairments with only slow natural
speech TTS systems.  Now I feel that problem is solved, as we can
speed up any natural TTS system and I think achieve very high
listening rates.  I've been testing my friends and family (they think
I'm weird, but that's nothing new).  My family can listen from 2.5X to
3X faster than recorded without training, and my old school friend can
listen at 3.5X speed up.  I can listen at about 4X, but I've been
training to speed-listen for over a year.  All of us can listen to
real voices at faster rates than we can alisten to Eloquence.  This
leads me to be hopeful about the future of TTS.

Bill