Re: New programmer

  • From: Jared Wright <wright.jaredm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 11:51:24 -0400

These are all benefits of an IDE, but as someone who's done more than just a little tinkering in the .net framework, I have been just peachy with a text editor. Now I've been a text editor kind of person for a long time now. I make extensive use of regexp functions, code snipets, macros, etc. I think with these tools and the layout-by-code library Jamal has for the .net platform, I've been able to produce .net programs equivalent to those of my classmates without requiring any more time to do so. I save a lot of time not fighting with accessibility settings of Visual Studio, after all. Call me arrogant, but I also think I understand why those programs work or don't work better because I did them in a text editor. This is just based on imperical findings, but many classmates seemed woefully uninformed about the programatic specifics the IDE's generated code had. At the same time, some very good programmers used and swear by the IDE. So I guess my point is it can be useful for some, but I think I've done OK neglecting Visual Studio as a developing environment and still being productive in .net

On 5/1/2010 10:58 AM, Jacques Bosch wrote:
If you just want to play around, a text editor will be fine.

However, in my opinion, you can never achieve the same productivity with that approach as with Visual Studio.
You can use the VS 2008 Express series. It is free.

Some benefits:
* Syntax highlighting - should you have any vision remaining.
* Visual Designers - should you have have any vision remaining.
* Intellisense.
* Code completion.
* Auto code formatting (configurable)
* Integrated compiler and debugger.
* Code navigation, such as *GoToDefinition* and *GoToDeclaration*.
* Code information: types of variables in tooltips etc.
* And lots of other tools too.

IDE stands for Integrated Development Environment. Basically, it is a fancy and powerful text editor with all the extra development tools all right there, readily accessible. So, unless you have a very compelling reason, you should always use an IDE, VS or other, all in my humble opinion.

Jacques

----- Original Message ----- From: "Øyvind Lode" <oyvind.lode@xxxxxxxxx>