Re: Need tutorials of VB6

  • From: David Tseng <davidct1209@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 15:17:42 -0700

Catherine,

Though I think the goal is a great one (if you want to implement your
own voice chat service for example), you might want to start with
something more useful as a building block.

You should probably pick a platform/language and get to know it *very*
well.  This means to me becoming comfortable with the language in it
of itself perhaps with minimal use of a command line to drive your
programs.  This also includes understanding the languages features,
syntax, symantics, object-orientedness, control flow, packaging,
standard libs, etc.  For .Net this could take some time :), but it's
worth it to do this part "right" and spend the necessary hours/months
to get it.

Thereafter, you can look into implementing web services.  This does
require lots of knowledge about how the internet relays traffic via
various layered protocol's.  I find it useful to understand the
"atoms" of the system.  In unix, for example, http servers are largely
built upon BSD styled sockets and via low-level system calls.  Having
that picture of exactly what's going on when an http request goes from
a browser down to hardware across the wire to another machine and
eventually resulting in a response is sort of what you're after.
Without that kind of grounding, you'll just throw out T.L.A.'s without
understanding them and coding up such a project would become quickly
an exercise in stabbing in the dark as it were.