Re: Need tutorials of VB6

In response to your ISAPI filters, the reason they are native is so that -anyone- could implement the filters, not just users of the .NET framework. They could add support for .NET assemblies, but that would take a great deal of work on their end and it simply isn't worth it.

On 7/22/2011 1:20 PM, Katherine Moss wrote:
You see, that's what I don't get.  If they say (Microsoft, and others), that C#
is just as capable as C++ for the lower level stuff if you learn the unsafe
code marking technique in it, then why doesn't C# support all things like MAPI,
lower-level device drivers, IIS ISAPI filters and extensions, and all other
things that it is clearly stated require C++?  I mean, if we have Microsoft and
other C# sites telling us that C# can do the same things, it just seems a bit
silly to have requirements in another language for some things, right?

-----Original Message-----
From: programmingblind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:programmingblind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Littlefield, Tyler
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2011 4:11 PM
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Need tutorials of VB6

c++ is great for lower level. And if you -need- to make calls to win32
(which everything just sort of wraps around anyway), you can use pinvoke
(pinvoke.net)
On 7/22/2011 1:45 PM, Katherine Moss wrote:
I think it's just my feeling that the CLR has been around long enough that it
should be ahead of everything else in the Windows OS and environment, and that
lower-level languages like C++ should not have to be a requirement for certain
things.  Take MAPI, for instance.  I was reading something about that as I was
briefly interested in trying to help when I get good enough on the existing
projects there to make open source Outlook Extensions to make it's groupware
features not be reliant upon Exchange server to make them work.  Take
HMailServer for instance.  The source is no longer open (though the program is
still free thankfully for whatever reason), but add-ins are aloud, so why not
give it some groupware abilities and have it be another alternative to Exchange
server's  masivity?  But my point is here that if microsoft seems to be pushing
.net, then why are they still requiring certain languages for certain things?
You see, this is one of the hopeful things I want to see with Windows 8, that
.net and Win32 will be peers rather than separate entities in which they can
only cooperate using interop.  And talk about interop, Microsoft had
intentionally made MAPI unsupportive of interop.  Why, I wonder?  Sounds like a
nasty marketing tactic.  I can't prove that, but that was more of an inferred
thing when reading about it.