From: Alex Parks <mehgcap@xxxxxxx
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 21:33:23 -0500
Subject: another java question

Hi all,
Sorry, but I have just one more question about this blackjack
program.  For some extra credit I can include a function that
adds 11 to a hand with an ace when the total of the hand is below
11 and adds 1 with an ace when the total is more than 11.  I have
this function inside a method called getHandTotal().  I use a
boolean called ace and set it to true if the adding loop
encounters an ace so that, after the loop, I can use an if
statement whose condition is that the handTotal was greater than
11 and ace==true.  Inside this I subtract 10 from the hand (same
as subtracting the 11 that was added in the loop and then adding
the one I want).  The problem is that the compiler says that ace
might not have been initialized, but just after starting the
method I say
boolean ace;
Is it because I am setting ace to true inside a loop or
something? I have no idea why it won't work.  All times I call
ace it is lower case.  I have tried just saying
if (total>11 && ace
and
if (total>11 && ace==true
but both result in that same error.  Thanks for any help.

Have a great day,
Alex