RE: Mono was: Shell Scripting Info

  • From: Roopakshi Pathania <r_akshi_tgk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 11:58:46 -0700 (PDT)

Except that Mono project practically came to a stop recently after a company
called Attachmate acquired Novell, the developers of openSUSE and the force
behind Mono.
The entire Mono team was laid off, which obviously includes the people working
on Mono's accessibility.
Anyway, its development has picked up again, but I can't say whether
accessibility of Mono applications is going to be a part of Mono development
any more or not.
You can read the latest on the topic here.
http://www.montpellier-informatique.com/predator/en/index.php?n=Main.HomePage

<sigh>
I sometimes think keeping accessibility features alive on various platforms is
like a video game- you have to battle evil monsters, give brownie points to the
helpers, and what not along the way.

Sent from my Lenovo ThinkPad

--- On Tue, 5/17/11, DaShiell, Jude T.  CIV NAVAIR 1490, 1, 26

From: DaShiell, Jude T.  CIV NAVAIR 1490, 1, 26 <jude.dashiell@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Shell Scripting Info
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, May 17, 2011, 7:15 PM

If the code works in mono and fails in dot net, please inform the relevant mono
email list and provide relevant code so the bug or bugs you found can be
squashed.  Earlier programming for dot net 2.0 was a good way to ensure cross
platform compatibility since mono hadn't gone that far into the later dot net
standards yet.  That may or may not still be the case.  Mono probably will get
to work faster using nvda than jaws especially if other members of the windows
mono development list also do python since they might be able to help out
fixing the source code of nvda to work better with mono if they got interested
enough to help out.