MinGW and MSYS

  • From: "qubit" <lauraeaves@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bprogramming" <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 18:10:38 -0500

Greetings. A question:
I need to work on some software that requires MinGW to emulate linux on my
windows box.
I honestly don't know why they distribute MinGW and MSYS separately since
they appear to be interdependent.  But I built MinGW first as I wasn't sure
from the documentation which needed to come first.
Both builds went off with no problems, but there are paths that need to be
reset -- but the problem is that MSYS seems to put the root directory 2
levels down from MinGW and put /MinGW in its PATH variable.
Anyway, to make a long story short, there are several ways I could proceed,
all requiring altering files in either MinGW or MSYS.
Does anyone else use this environment? How do you do the build?
Slightly annoyed.  Oh well.
TIA for any suggestions.
--le