Re: Maybe I'm Not Such An Old Dog

  • From: Kerneels Roos <kerneels@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 15:21:27 +0200

What? Can old dogs learn new tricks?
No, you are not too much of an old dog Jim. You are right, tabs makes browsing many pages simultaneously a breeze especially if you have a fast machine. I've read that with Safari one can have the default link action be to open in a new tab and not a new window -- is the same possible for FF? I always forget those shortcuts then fall back to the context menu button and select Open in New Tab, but I know there's a faster way for this.

Later

On 7/20/2011 1:50 PM, Homme, James wrote:

Hi,

I know that popping open new browser windows is against accessibility guidelines, but I'm beginning to re-think my aversion to doing that, partly because I like the new way browsers open windows. I like tabs. I also like that when I return to the previous tab, I'm exactly where I left off reading. Recently, with more dynamic pages, it has become more and more unreliable to use the back button to get back to where I was. I'm even experimenting with opening links in a separate browser window on purpose. I'd still like to know, though, if a link is about to open in a separate window, even if it's for informational reasons. JAWS does a good job, though, of telling me that a new tab has opened.

Jim Homme,

Usability Services,

Phone: 412-544-1810.

This e-mail and any attachments to it are confidential and are intended solely for use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not keep, use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail without the author's prior permission. The views expressed in this e-mail message do not necessarily represent the views of Highmark Inc., its subsidiaries, or affiliates.

--
Kerneels Roos
Cell: +27 (0)82 309 1998