Re: Maybe I'm Not Such An Old Dog

  • From: Trouble <trouble1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 10:51:43 -0400

With jaws you do have to watch how many tabs you have set for home tabs. I had 5 and 2 of them had advertisements. Only the one page made for the blind crashed jaws. Not sure if it was bad coding or just bad ad, but it would crash it all.

If you want a new window with a link just do a shift+ enter.

At 09:21 AM 7/20/2011, you wrote:
What? Can old dogs learn new tricks?
No, you are not too much of an old dog Jim. You are right, tabs makes browsing many pages simultaneously a breeze especially if you have a fast machine. I've read that with Safari one can have the default link action be to open in a new tab and not a new window -- is the same possible for FF? I always forget those shortcuts then fall back to the context menu button and select Open in New Tab, but I know there's a faster way for this.

Later

On 7/20/2011 1:50 PM, Homme, James wrote:

Hi,

I know that popping open new browser windows is against accessibility guidelines, but I'm beginning to re-think my aversion to doing that, partly because I like the new way browsers open windows. I like tabs. I also like that when I return to the previous tab, I'm exactly where I left off reading. Recently, with more dynamic pages, it has become more and more unreliable to use the back button to get back to where I was. I'm even experimenting with opening links in a separate browser window on purpose. I'd still like to know, though, if a link is about to open in a separate window, even if it's for informational reasons. JAWS does a good job, though, of telling me that a new tab has opened.

Jim Homme,

Usability Services,

Phone: 412-544-1810.

This e-mail and any attachments to it are confidential and are intended solely for use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not keep, use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail without the author's prior permission. The views expressed in this e-mail message do not necessarily represent the views of Highmark Inc., its subsidiaries, or affiliates.

--
Kerneels Roos
Cell: +27 (0)82 309 1998