Re: Math in Word, Maple Notation (Was: Complexity Math in PDF)

  • From: Veli-Pekka Tätilä <vtatila@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:50:24 +0300

Hi Peter,
The name Maple  rings a distant bell somewhere, I think some folks have
been using it for audio DSP, at least. At any rate, is there a demo of
Maple or an on-line manual in which the notation it uses could be
learned?

I do know our lecturer is a former mathematician, so he'd probably be
much more comfortable dealing with Maple notation rather than yet
another ad hoc ASCII notation. All actual computation I need to do at
the moment can be handled with a simple expression evaluator or a
programming language, so I brought up Mathematica et al only due to
their notation. We're basically talking about simple proofs of algorithm
complexity and correctness mostly based on induction and common sense
rather than, say, Turing machines.

Although some of the PDF metadata does Read Power Point the original
files used are actually Word docss in which the formulae are done with
the equation editor. I managed to get copies of those files simply by
asking for them. With Wordpad it only says inserted object on an
equation, though. Viewing in Word 97 simply says gap, with SN8.02.
OPening the thing up in the equation editor does let you read it through
but the blinking focus disturbs speech, at least with SN8.02. Are
equations in modern versions of Word more accessible in Jaws? I'm using
Supernova and WOrd 97 since it does all I need and 97 is here much
faster than 2003. I can have access to even the latest Office versions,
though, should they bring about accessibility improvements.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~vtatila