MSSQL server 2008 (compact edition) management tool

  • From: "Jacob Kruger" <jacobk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ProgrammingBlind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 15:41:52 +0200

Ok, on my windows 7 64 bit machine, I can/am running the management studio
express, and it works fine, but on my windows 7 32 bit machine, that possibly
has maybe a different version of SQL Server or something on it, since on the
start menu, it shows up both 2005 and 2008 versions where this machine only
shows the 2005 version - not sure what happened there since they both have full
versions of VS.Net 2008 on them, as well as express versions of one or two
pieces of VS.Net 2010.

Anyway, the versions of SQL Server management studio express I have got hold of
for them works alright on the 64 bit machine, but since it's a different
installation package, needed for 64 bit, that might also be relevant, since on
the 32 bit machine, it says it can't connect to that server as such.

I suppose I could try make sure that the right process/server was running or
something, to make sure it was 2005 running on both of them, but actually just
wondering what else can be done to allow me to actually administer newer
versions of SQL server - as in create, design, modify, etc., tables, stored
procedures, users/logins, etc. etc. without scripting each and everything...?

These are both local versions of SQL server running on the same machine as the
management studio's etc.

For now, what have done on the one machine is sort of put together a small
version of the ooooold query analyzer that I create specific ODBC data sources
for, to allow it to connect to a specific database within the server using NT
authentication on my own machine, but this will still take a bit more time than
I would like to just do simple things like create tables, with all their field
types, auto incrementing, etc., since I'm lazy to go keep on looking up
examples...<smile>

Also, although I used a sort of system stored procedure sp_addlogin to create
the user in the system I would actually want to use on the front end, and
although I then used sp_changedbowner to try assign it as the owner of the
specific database, it seems unable to login on the actual front-end web app,
but anyway...

TIA if anyone has any thoughts

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker