Re: Low Risk Vinuxx; was Re: Is GUI Programming Worth While for Visually Impaired Coders?

  • From: Alex Midence <alex.midence@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 11:35:41 -0500

On 10/18/10, Storm Dragon <stormdragon2976@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
><snip>
> Orca is just slow with web pages. This is being
> improved but is not there yet.

That's a pretty accurate way of putting what I noticed myself.  I
found myself really wishing for a list of links or elements  the way
you can get with Jaws or nvda with insert+f7.  That alone would speed
things up a bit.  Ideally, you'd want a similar list of headings,
buttons, and the like.  Also, the Orca Find option doesn't seem to
jump you to the string you want to search for properly on a webpage.
Other than that, I found I was able to use similar key combinations
for web navigation like h for heading, l for list, b for button and so
forth.  I've noticed that Orca sometimes chops the ends of words off
if they are toward the end of a line but this could be an espeak quirk
... I don't know.  Noticed emacspeak doing it too while I was reading
the manual.

One thing that wasn't really  mentioned in this thread so far is that
well, linux is an alternative.  With Vinux, it's a truly viable one
for a wide group of people.  You are not locked into windows the way a
lot of blind folks think we are.  You can choose your operating system
just like a sighted person can and we couldn't always say that.  For a
while there, windows really was the only truly productive option for
things not related to programming after Dos fell by the wayside.
Linux in and of itself is so flexible that it offers you all sorts of
alternatives on how to skin a proverbial cat.  You can use a gui
desktop like gnome if you want, use emacs, or, if you just want to use
command line interface, you can and still have good software that is
modern and still being developed.  On the subject of desktops, you
don't just have 1 either though, for us, I guess that's still
something that needs to be improved since KDE works poorly with Orca
by all accounts.
For programming, there are tons and tons of tools and lots if not all
of them are free.  Incidentally, has anyone here ever used eclipse
with vinux?  Is it as accessible in linux as it is in windows?
Thanks.
Alex M