Re: Linux Again

  • From: "John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 08:21:23 -0600

Jim,

Cygwin is a version of Linux that has been designed to work in the
Windows environment. In most ways it behaves like a native Linux system,
but since it uses the Windows kernel and conventions certain programs,
notably screen readers, may not work with it. That is, Linux screen
readers. Windows screen readers work fine, since Cygwin is really a
Windows program. You can test Open Office on Cygwin, but I don't know if
EmaksSpeak will work. Speakup will not, since it depends on the Linux
kernel. Brltty might work under some circumstances. If you really want
to test Linux screen readers you will need a native Linux system,
preferably either dual boot or on a different machine. Virtual machines
can have accessibility problems, and anyway, they're more complicated.

John

Abilitiessoft, Inc.
http://www.abilitiessoft.com
Madison, Wisconsin USA