RE: Language of Choice for Network-aware Applications

  • From: "Homme, James" <james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 11:50:02 -0500

Hi,
I've used both Eclipse and EdSharp. I prefer EdSharp.

Eclipse does some very nice compilation and packaging type stuff, but I can
achieve some of that with EdSharp, and in a way that I like better. For
example, I can create a compiler for EdSharp and call it something and use it
as a way to have a favorites list that includes the files I'm working on. That
gives me some of Eclipse's packaging functions.

If I'm ambitious enough, I can write JScript.Net code to automate whatever I
want EdSharp to do, because just about the whole application is open to me. All
I have to do is open the source code and find the functions or objects I want
to use.

Eclipse takes up so much memory that it slows my machine down signifficantly.

With Eclipse, If I want to do something other than Java, I have to go out and
download some other plug-in. EdSharp does something like sixteen languages
right out of the box.

Eclipse has a lot of key strokes to learn and windows to get familiar with.
Neither of them are intuitive, and the documentation is extremely difficult to
find and convoluted to read. I had to re-format it, just to make it palatable.
EdSharp uses mostly key strokes I already know, and the ones it adds are
logical and easy to pick up. It automatically speaks things for me that I'd
have to go into other windows in Eclipse to find out.

The developer of EdSharp is right on this list. I have no relationship with
Eclipse developers. Jamal's priority is to develop stuff that people who are
blind can use as efficiently as possible. That kind of thing was bolted onto
Eclipse after it was created, and we all know that when you build accessibility
into something from the beginning that you have better accessibility.

I could go on longer, but you get the idea.

Use EdSharp. You will be much happier.

Jim

Jim Homme,
Usability Services,
Phone: 412-544-1810
Skype: jim.homme
Internal recipients,  Read my accessibility blog