Re: Jim's VB.net Notes

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 16:52:52 -0400

What namespace is being automatically imported by one VB.NET compiler but not another? Compiler versions may behave a bit differently in terms of namespaces that are automatically imported. The default imports are in a compiler response file called vbc.rsp. You could search your hard drive for references to that file.

Below is a simple program that will identify what .NET version is the default host for a .NET executable. Compile either within Visual Studio or at the command-line as follows:

vbc.exe Hello.vb

Jamal

Imports System
Imports System.Runtime.InteropServices

Module Program
Sub Main()
Console.WriteLine("Hello from .NET Framework " + RuntimeEnvironment.GetSystemVersion())
End Sub
End Module

On 7/12/2010 1:35 PM, Homme, James wrote:

Hi People,

I'm writing the first lesson of Jim's Vb.net notes, and I already have a
question about how something works. I'm trying to be accurate in my
explanation of what you automatically get when you compile a program.
Here's why I'm having trouble figuring this out. When I create the hello
world program on this computer, I don't have to use any statements to
import any libraries. When I take the same program home, I have to use
an imports statement. How do I figure out why this is happening?

Thanks.

Jim

Jim Homme,

Usability Services,

Phone: 412-544-1810. Skype: jim.homme

Internal recipients, Read my accessibility blog
<http://mysites.highmark.com/personal/lidikki/Blog/default.aspx>.
Discuss accessibility here
<http://collaborate.highmark.com/COP/technical/accessibility/default.aspx>.
<http://collaborate.highmark.com/COP/technical/accessibility/Accessibility%20Wiki/Forms/AllPages.aspx>

solely for use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient,
you must not keep, use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail without
the author's prior permission. The views expressed in this e-mail
message do not necessarily represent the views of Highmark Inc., its
subsidiaries, or affiliates.